Thursday, October 11, 2007

rhyming like crazy

Creeley's "Song" ("Those rivers run from that land"), a ditty (yes, ditty) of simple-but-sneakily-difficult geo-abstraction, includes (twice) a refrain which is a quatrain that rhymes A A A A.

And me, why me
on any day might be
favored with kind prosperity
or sunk in wretched misery.


Not remarkable in the least, and, at worst, clunky. But the poem by its diction implies that, well, it's all for love (For Love is the name of the book where this 1960 poem was later collected) and so get this sincere nature-human indefiniteness:

You I want back of me
in the life we have here...


and

I cannot stop the weather
by putting together
myself and another
to stop those rivers.


(A A A B)

"Song" was first published in the winter 1960-61 issue of a magazine called Inscape (number 6). It was evidently written on November 18, 1960.